If you google Falafels you’ll find out they are small deep fried fritters. They can be balls or patties in shape and must have as their main ingredient chickpeas. Another ingredient are Fava beans (Broad Beans in the UK). Are you now thinking “a nice Chianti”?
As far as the rest of the ingredients are concerned, it is very much a personal, regional or family taste. I have made several versions in the past, all ranging from the very hot to the ‘whats’s missing’.
After some experimentation I have come up with a version akin to what we buy in the supermarkets. Furthermore for my LatestSupper, I served them as a main course. I previously presented them as a starter, or as a light lunch (even picnic dish). After all we talking about golf ball sized treats. As these were to be the centre piece, I made my mains to be more like tennis balls – serving only 2 per diner. I like to think of them as middle Eastern rissoles!
No Faff Falafels
SW Free foods
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp of fresh or dried full leaf coriander
- 1 small red chilli deseeded and thinly chopped
- Salt & black pepper
- 1-cal oil aka Fry-light
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley (I used dried)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Drain the chickpeas in a sieve or colander and wash under a cold tap. Shake dry to release any excess liquid and place in the bowl of a food processor (cutting & mixing blade attached).
- Add all the other ingredients except the oil.
- Start the processor on the slowest setting. After 30 seconds or so, crank up the speed. In approximately 15 seconds the mixture should resemble a paste (and smell fantastic).
- Set a side for the time it takes to pre-heat the oven or air fryer 180C (160C fan) [NO DEEP FRYING :)]
- Prepare the cooking tray (if oven line a large flat tray with parchment – air fryer; a squirt of 2 of fry-light on the ‘cage’)
- To make the balls use any of the following; melon scoop, soup spoon, or (in my case) an ice cream scoop. If you choose golf ball size then this will serve 6 – using the ice cream spoon I made 4 (2 per diner) larger rissole size.
- Once you have exhausted the mix and you have lovely fritters sitting on the tray, give each a generous spray of fry-light.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until the outside is crisp and light brown.
Enjoy a crunchy salad and a mint yogurt. Place 2 tsp of mint sauce and 80ml of fat free fromage frais in a ramekin, and fold together with a fork. Alternatively, try baked garlic or lime & coriander in place of the mint. For a smoky taste, try smoked sweet paprika. There are endless fat free possibilities.