Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus Pawb!
St. David’s Day under Lockdown 3.0 doesn’t feel that bad. The sun is shining, we have the Triple Crown, and eyes on a Grand Slam. Time to celebrate our heritage and enjoy a bowl of Cawl.
Translated as soup, there is a definite north-south divide when Cawl is on the menu. In the north it is any soup but us southerners talk of a watery meat & chunky vegetable broth made from, traditionally, mutton. Add leeks and you have Cawl Cennen.
This is my SYN free, foolproof Cawl; Mam’s was the best, and that is usually echoed at every table from St.Davids City to Magor. Yes, the one we remember from childhood.
- 450g/1lb lean diced steak
- 3 large carrots roughly chopped
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 1 parsnip again roughly chopped
- Large tin of potatoes
- Large Leek cut along the centre and chopped.
- 2-3tbps Parsley
- Beef Stockpot
- 800ml water
- The night before…
- Place all the ingredients into a slow cooker.
- On ‘High’ cook for 2-3 hours and leave to stand over night.
- On the day in the morning
- Set the slow cooker to low
- Stir and check the liquid level.
- 40g 50% reduced that cheddar as a Healthy A
- 60g slice of whole meal bread as the Healthy B