Summer is nearly here again – although we have experienced blizzards in the last day or so following a mini-heatwave. With the longer nights and warmer temperatures, my diet naturally meanders towards the lighter foods. Less roast dinners and more chilled foods. Salads, quiches, and barbecued meats. Eating out doors and just making do with snack foods.
One item that says summer to me is Quiche Loraine. A delicacy served warmed or chilled. Unfortunately the pastry isn’t helpful when losing the excess pounds. Here then is my version of the crustless mini Quiche Lorraine. For my SW family they are SYN free.
Before I get onto the recipe, I want to mention a piece of kitchen gadgetry which has paid for itself over the years. A lot of the labour saving devices tend to have limited uses and after the initial enthusiasm wears off, just clutter up the kitchen – but this bad boy is in a league of his own. Ladies & Gentlemen may I introduce you to the Tefal Cake Factory.
Having a counter top machine with multiple moulds, constant temperature and timer settings, has revolutionized my baking. I used the Cake Factory to make my crustless quiches by means using the silcone muffin tin, prepared with 1Cal aka FryLight, set to a temperature of 240C for 25 minutes. Using a small palette knife, the quiches popped out intact without any dramas! Happy Days!
Crustless Quiche Lorraine (serving 4)
- 5 Medium eggs beaten
- 2 Smoked bacon medallions diced
- 1/2 green jalapeño deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tomato quartered and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1Cal oil for preparing the mould
- Beat the eggs, and add all the ingredients to a large bowl & mix. Set a side.
- Warm the oven – 230C – 210C(Fan).
- Oil the muffin mould//tray. Best results use silicone
- Share the egg mix into the moulds ensuring an even share of ingredients especially the bacon and peppers.
- Cook for 25 minutes or until there is golden brown colour on top of the quiche.
- Remove with a rounded head knife (palette or butter knife).
- Allow to rest on a plate for a few moments.
Enjoy with your favourite garden salad and new potatoes in their skins.