An aspect of healthy eating that hasn’t gone unnoticed on me is the disappointment when you yearn for a dish and finally partake. I have written extensively on the “thought of” versus “the reality”. Some foods leave me physically ill when I have purged myself of all the ‘additives’. A trip down Memory Lane includes a 120ml sample of Mono-sodium Glutamate aka Chip Shop Curry Sauce. I remember in the early 90s having a bag of concentrate given to me. The bag was the size of 1.5kg bag of flour. My memory is fuzzy on the subject, I reckon there was something like 400 portions in that bag of chemicals. Probably had a half-life of 3 million years. However, when on the stuff, it tastes so good!
The simple truth is, if you indulge in additives every day then you’ll be used to them. Come off them and there will be a ‘body-shock’ & vice versa.
I do have a yearning for a chippy themed supper but don’t fancy either, the bloated feeling or the guilt associated. The next best thing then is… as usual, make my own.
This is my recipe for generic Chip Shop Curry Sauce. You could store it for a few days and turn it into a ‘no-name’ curry – the sauce is that tasty and versatile.
- 1 onion thinly chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic mince
- 1cm Minced Root Ginger
- 2-3Tbsp Sweetener to taste
- 1Tbsp preferred Curry powder
- 60ml Chicken stock
- 1 can chopped Tomatoes
- 50g fat-free natural Fromage Frais
- 1tbsp fresh Coriander
- 1Tbsp fresh Mint
- Line a pan with Fry-light and fry off the onions and garlic until soft.
- Add the Ginger and Curry powder and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and stock and allow to simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Return to the hob pan and warm the sauce (NOT BOIL) before adding the Fromage Frais, Coriander and Mint.
- Serve immediately with air fried SW friendly chips or as the basis for a ‘run of the mill’ generic curry.
As for my supper, I will be making SYN free chips, together with a couple of Heck sausages at 1 SYN for the pair, and burning some big SYNs with my homemade Rissoles – coming in at 3.5 SYNs each. For 8 SYNs its “double rissole, double sausage, medium chips, and er… large curry sauce, please? Extra salt and vinegar, Ta”
[hit_count]Tags: Chippy Chips, Cravings, Curry Sauce, Guilt-free, Homemade, Slimming World