A lighter calorie of the classic Welsh “Bara Brith” can be made in just over an hour.
Weighing in at 7 SYNs per ample portion, this recipe makes 6 muffins or fingers. MY top tip: use Silicone bakeware ONLY.
- 2 Weetabix type cereal biscuits
- 100g plain flour
- 1tbs baking powder
- 200ml skimmed milk
- 100g dried fruit such as sultanas
- 2 tbs granulated sweetener
- 2 large eggs (equivalent)
- 1 tsp Mixed spice or All spice
- Place the biscuits in a bowl and add the the milk. Allow the biscuits to absorb the milk for a couple of minutes
- In a separate bowl measure & add the dry ingredients
- When the biscuits have completely absorbed the milk, add this to the dry mix as well as the eggs and whisk well
- Use 1Cal spray oil (Fry Light) to ‘grease’ the silicone mould and apportion the mixture equally
- Bake at 190-200C for 45-60 minutes (sometimes longer) until a cocktail stick passes out cleanly
Enjoy as is, or cut a half and spread a little butter (which is the traditional Welsh way).